The Wife He Could Never Appreciate- Short Story

 


Daniel had a good wife.


That was something everyone around him knew except Daniel himself.


Her name was Grace. She was not a perfect woman, but she was patient, loving, hardworking, and loyal. She stood beside her husband through difficult seasons when many women would have walked away.


When Daniel lost his job, Grace never insulted him. She encouraged him.


When money became difficult, she learned to stretch whatever little they had. She would sometimes go to bed without eating enough just so that Daniel and their children could have something on the table.


When Daniel was sick, she stayed awake beside him.


When he was discouraged, she reminded him that life could change.


“You will rise again,” she often told him. “Just don't give up.”


Daniel loved Grace, or at least he believed he did.


But Daniel had one dangerous weakness.


He was never satisfied.


Even when he had something good, he kept looking at what someone else had.


At first, it was small things.


He would see another man's car and complain that Grace was not doing enough to help him achieve his dreams.


Then he started comparing Grace's appearance to other women.


Later, he began spending more time outside the home.


Daniel had a restless mind. He was always searching for something new, something exciting, something he believed would make him happier.


One evening, a friend introduced him to a woman named Vanessa.


Vanessa was different from Grace. She was confident, fashionable and exciting. She made Daniel feel important.


She laughed at all his jokes. She complimented him constantly.


Daniel became attracted to the attention.


Instead of protecting his marriage, he began hiding things from Grace.


His phone became a secret.


His movements became mysterious.


His excuses became frequent.


Grace noticed.


One night, she finally asked him, “Daniel, is there someone else?”


Daniel looked at her and lied.


“No. You are imagining things.”


Grace lowered her eyes.


“I hope that's true,” she whispered.


But deep inside, she already knew.


Daniel continued seeing Vanessa.


He convinced himself that he deserved happiness.


He told himself that Grace was too ordinary, that their marriage had become boring, and that Vanessa understood him better.


Eventually, Daniel left Grace.


It was the hardest day of her life.


Grace begged him to think about their children and everything they had built together.


Daniel was stubborn.


“I need a different life,” he said.


Grace wiped her tears.


“Maybe one day you will understand what you are throwing away.”


Daniel walked out.


At first, he felt free.


He spent money carelessly. He went out often. He enjoyed the attention of Vanessa.


For several months, he believed he had made the right decision.


But slowly, reality began to reveal itself.


Vanessa was not Grace.


When Daniel became short of money, Vanessa became impatient.


When he was sick, she complained about having to take care of him.


When problems came, she disappeared.


Daniel began remembering Grace.


He remembered how she used to wake up early to prepare breakfast.


He remembered the way she prayed for him.


He remembered how she encouraged him when he had nothing.


But his pride prevented him from going back.


Then things became worse.


Daniel lost his job again.


His debts increased.


His relationship with Vanessa collapsed.


The woman he had sacrificed his marriage for eventually left him.


Daniel found himself alone.


His house was quiet.


His phone no longer rang with affectionate messages.


His friends who had encouraged his reckless lifestyle were nowhere to be found.


One night, Daniel sat alone in his living room and looked at an old photograph of Grace.


He stared at her smile for a long time.


“Why didn't I appreciate you?” he whispered.


For the first time, he understood that his biggest problem had never been Grace.


It had been his own mind.


He was always chasing another woman, another experience, another form of satisfaction.


He had confused excitement with happiness.


He had mistaken attention for love.


He had thrown away peace because he thought pleasure was more valuable.


Daniel tried to contact Grace.


She answered his call after several attempts.


“Grace,” he said quietly.


There was silence.


“I am sorry.”


Grace took a deep breath.


“For what?”


“For everything.”


Another silence followed.


“I lost a good woman because I was never satisfied. I had someone who loved me, but I kept looking elsewhere. I thought I would find happiness with another person, but I only found emptiness.”


Grace's voice was calm.


“Daniel, I forgave you a long time ago.”


Daniel's heart lifted.


“Can we start again?”


Grace was quiet for a moment.


“No.”


The word broke something inside him.


“Why?”


“Because forgiveness does not always mean returning to the same place.”


Daniel closed his eyes.


Grace continued.


“I spent years trying to build a home with you. You kept destroying it because your mind was never settled. I cannot live that life again.”


Daniel began crying.


“I have changed.”


“I hope you have,” Grace replied. “But change does not mean you automatically get back what you lost.”


The call ended.


Daniel sat in darkness.


That night, he finally understood the deepest punishment of his choices.


It was not losing Vanessa.


It was not losing money.


It was not being alone.


It was knowing that he had once possessed something precious and had destroyed it with his own hands.


Grace eventually rebuilt her life.


She became stronger, more confident and happier.


Daniel heard that she had started a small business and was doing well.


He was happy for her, but the happiness carried pain.


Years later, Daniel was invited to speak to a group of young men about marriage and responsibility.


He stood before them and told them his story.


“Gentlemen,” he said, “I lost a good woman because I had a bad habit of believing that there was always something better waiting for me.”


The room became quiet.


“I thought having many women would make me feel satisfied. It didn't. Every new relationship only created a new hunger. I was looking for peace in places that could never give it to me.”


He paused.


“If you have a good wife, appreciate her. If she stands with you when you have nothing, don't wait until you have everything to realise her value.”


His voice became emotional.


“Sometimes the person you are searching for outside your home is the person you already have inside it. And sometimes, by the time you understand that, it is too late.”


Daniel never forgot Grace.


She became the greatest lesson of his life.


Not because she had been perfect, but because she had loved him when he did not deserve it.


And Daniel finally learned that a man who is never satisfied can lose everything while searching for something he already had.


The tragedy was not that Daniel lost his wife.


The tragedy was that he lost her while believing he was gaining something better.

Comments

Why Malawi?

The Boy Who Laid Eggs-Short Story

ADULT TALES BOOK- A NEW BOOK BY MATILDA PHIRI

Lessons Learned from Morocco: Exploring Developments, Businesses, and Way of Life